Whether you are getting ready for an outdoor gathering or just a relaxing Sunday, here are some ideas for how to make your outdoors more fun without a large investment!
- Hang Twinkle Lights - Everyone looks great under a glow, including your house.
- Add an Outdoor Cooler - Opt for interesting shapes and containers: vintage baby bathtubs, galvanized planters, oversized urns or a whiskey barrel. You can even find fun items at your local HEB or even Sam's Club!
- Roll in the Bar Cart - Have a small cart on hand that you can roll out for an instant relaxing afternoon! Drinks, cups, stirrers, coasters, speakers and an assortment of your favorite magazines.
- Hang a Hammock - Is there any better way to get that afternoon nap? Just make sure the citronella candles are lit all around!
Lighting up at Night
There are so many wonderful options now for outdoor lighting. Depending on the mood you are going for, there are products designed to make you highlight a feature or provide an overall mood. Here are a few examples:
- Strands - Dangling lights over a patio or across backyard trees can cast an inviting glow for evening parties.
- Lamp Posts - A gas or electric lamp casts a small but welcoming glow over a front year. A 3- or 4-lamp post can gently illuminate a backyard social. And once installed, there is no additional setup required.
- Deck Lights - Incorporate post cap lights to outline your favorite gathering spot. While you are at it, add a few step lights to eliminate tripping.
- Rope Lights - String along the rails of your staircase or pergola to create a festive look. They are inexpensive and you can use single or multi-colored strands to create the mood you desire.
To Light the Way:
- Path Lights - Use low-voltage fixtures to accentuate your walk ways or subtly show off your landscaping. They come in a wide variety of styles and options (wired or solar) to fit your needs.
To Showcase a Feature:
- Spotlights - These versatile fixtures can be pointed upward to showcase your beautiful house or a magnificent tree. Install them on trees to shine down on a beautiful flowerbed or landscape.
To Wow with Water:
- Submersibles - Create a stunning sight to go with the soothing sounds of your waterfall or fountain with these specialized lights. Great for pools and ponds, too.
There are lots of great reasons to invest in outdoor lighting. Here are few articles that expand on this topic:
When you are ready to take the plunge, don't hesitate to contact a local vendor. Those that specialize in outdoor lighting will have the most options and knowledge of the current trends:
- Elliot Brothers Landscaping - http://www.elliottbrotherslandscaping.com/
- Woodlands Exterior Designs - http://woodlandsexteriordesigns.com/
- Bullrock Landscape and Sprinklers - http://www.thewoodlandstx.com/business/business_detail.php?merchant_id=18124
- Moonlighting Outdoor Lighting Services - http://moonlightingofthewoodlands.com/
Amy Hrinsin, Manager - Concierge Operations